OKEMOS, Mich.— RV ownership has reached record levels – More than nine million households now own an RV – the highest level ever recorded – a 16% increase since 2001 and a 64% gain since 1980.
Here are some additional facts and statistics:
- The Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) estimates there are as many as 30 million RV enthusiasts nationwide, including RV renters.
- Population and demographic trends favor long-term RV market growth. Buyers aged 35-54 are the largest segment of RV owners, according to the 2011 University of Michigan study of RV consumers commissioned by the RVIA.
- Baby boomers entering retirement – RV sales are expected to benefit as aging baby boomers continue to enter the age range in which RV ownership has been historically highest.
- Indiana overwhelmingly continues to lead the country in RV production, manufacturing nearly 83 percent of all RVs in the United States and Canada
- In 2019, Texas remains the top destination for RV shipments, receiving 10.3 percent of total RV wholesale shipments followed by California (8 percent), Florida (5.7 percent), Ohio, and Michigan (both at 4.4 percent).
- In 2019, more than 482,389 newly manufactured RVs were shipped in the country, RVIA reports.
- The total 2019 country-wide economic impact of RV sales and services is $20.1 billion.
- RVIA reports the combined sales for towables and motorized recreational vehicles through the end 2019 in Michigan was 22,305.
- The 2019 economic impact of RVs in Michigan is $3.4 billion. $1.6 billion for RV manufacturers and suppliers, $712.6 million for RV sales and services, $1.1 billion for RV campgrounds and travel according to RVIA.
- The Michigan RV and campground industry supports 18,795 jobs, 1,173 RV businesses and $969.9 million in wages.
- Go RVing and the RVIA commissioned a study highlighting how RV vacations present a clear budget benefit over other forms of travel. Popular RV mini-vacations can reap a cost savings of 21-64 percent for a four-person travel party.
- RVs support a balanced and active lifestyle. In a Harris Interactive survey, owners reported that RV travel enables them to experience nature and outdoor activities and enjoy quality family time. RVers reported stronger bonds with loved ones and benefits to children. RVers also cited healthier eating on the road, sleeping in their own beds, and having their own bathroom facilities as advantages of RV travel.
- Research by GoRVing and the RVIA show that when fuel prices are higher, RVers save on fuel costs by driving fewer miles, taking trips closer to home and staying longer at one destination.
- According to a GoRVing survey conducted at a recent MARVAC RV & Camping Show:
- 39 percent of attendees polled are age 55+ and 71 percent own an RV.
- 33 percent are soon to be empty nesters, ages 45 to 54 and 68 percent own an RV.
- Of the 28 percent of show attendees ages 18 to 44, 45 percent already own an RV.
- According to the Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (DEGLE), as of April 2019, there are more than 1,354 licensed recreation vehicle parks and campgrounds in Michigan, which represent more than 157,000 campsites.
- A study by Michigan State University shows that 10 percent of all pleasure travelers in Michigan are campers.
- Buyers aged 35-54 are the largest segment of RV owners, according to a University of Michigan study commissioned by RVIA.
- New RVs can range in price from $6,000-$22,000 for folding campers; $8,000-$95,000 for conventional travel trailers; $43,000-$200,000 plus for Type C motorhomes; $18,000 to $160,000 for fifth wheels and $60,000-$500,000 for Type A motorhomes.
- IRS tax deduction. For most RV buyers, interest on their loan is deductible as second home mortgage interest.
Visit www.marvac.org to find campgrounds, RV resorts and RV dealers by region.
The Michigan Association of Recreation Vehicles and Campgrounds (MARVAC) is a statewide, nonprofit organization dedicated to encouraging growth in the recreation vehicle and private campground industries while contributing to the quality of Michigan tourism. For more information, visit MARVAC’s website, www.marvac.org. MARVAC, 2222 Association Drive, Okemos, Mich. 48864-5978; 517.349.8881.
Sources: Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA), Michigan Association of Recreational Vehicles and Campgrounds (MARVAC)