Fall brings a certain nostalgia… and a certain appetite. The cravings for warm comfort foods and autumn flavors come around again. Sure, we loved summer while it lasted and all the fresh produce that came with it, but there’s something to be said about changing up the menu when a new season comes around.
In this article we’ll use flavors traditionally used in other parts of the year but wrapped with a bow for fall eating. Even better, these recipes are intended for the slow cooker, so you can walk away and let the work be done for you.
Crock Pot Maple Chicken & Veggies, Fullers Sugarhouse
Maple syrup time may be in the spring, but when fall arrives, we put that delicious nectar to use in our meal planning. From vegetables to breakfast bars, maple syrup is as diverse as delicious.
|4||boneless skinless chicken breasts|
|3 Tablespoons||pure maple syrup|
|3||sweet potatoes (or medium white, peeled and cubed)|
|1 bag||baby carrots|
|add||vegetables (other, if desired)|
|to taste||salt and pepper|
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place in bottom of slow cooker.
- Drizzle pure maple syrup over chicken.
- Place the potatoes, carrots, and onion (or other vegetables) into slow cooker, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, and then serve.
Slow Cooker Creamy Lemon Chicken, Dinner then Dessert
Lemon is an ingredient that tends to be used more in the summer because of its tart and refreshing flavor, but it can add some brightness to fall meals and desserts. This recipe includes a delectable cream sauce that’s perfect for a blustery evening.
- 5 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 lemons juiced and zested
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chicken base optional, but delicious!
- In a large cast iron skillet add 1 tablespoon of butter to melt on medium high heat.
- Add the kosher salt, black pepper and Italian seasoning to the chicken and add it to the pan.
- Cook on each side for 4-6 minutes.
- Add the chicken to your slow cooker.
- Cover with lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic and the rest of the butter in pieces (I added the lemons in the before picture just for reference. Don’t cook the lemons in the slow cooker).
- Cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours.
- In a large measuring cup add the half and half, cornstarch and chicken base and whisk well.
- Add the liquid, mix, and cook an additional hour on high.
Crock Pot Apple or Cherry Cobbler, CROCK POT lADIES
Cherries, both sweet and tart, make for a delicious fresh snack, dessert topping, or cocktail adornment in the summer months. But in the fall and winter, putting them in a pie or as a hot dessert. Michigan is home to the Cherry Capital of the World, Traverse City, so bring back a taste of summer with this easy-to-make slow cooker dessert.
- 42 Oz. make your own filling with Michigan cherries! – or
- 1 stick
- Open the two cans of cherry pie filling and dump the contents into a 3- to 5-quart slow cooker.