One of the best parts of a cold winter day is warming up with a heaping bowl of homemade soup. And with the help of a crockpot, delicious, hearty soup is easily attainable – regardless if you’re on the road or at (your stationary) home.
With six more weeks of winter in the forecast (thanks, Punxsutawney Phil), challenge yourself to make one of these mouth-watering soups every week. Make a Sunday tradition of it!
Comment on our Facebook page about your favorite recipe, cooking tips, or a recipe of your own – we’d love to read them!
Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup – Belle of the Kitchen
Prep Time: 30 Minutes Total Time: 8 Hours 30 Minutes
- 6 potatoes (about 7 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 16 oz. diced ham
- 1 can cream of celery soup (10.5 oz.)
- 1 can vegetable or chicken broth (14.5 oz.)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 16 oz. bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Wash, peel, and dice potatoes and place in bottom of slow cooker.
- Add onion, ham, cream of celery soup, broth, water, garlic, and black pepper.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- One hour before you’re ready to serve, whisk flour and milk together in a small bowl and pour into slow cooker. Add 1 ½ cups of cheddar cheese.
- Once potatoes are tender, serve. Garnish each bowl with remaining cheese and bacon.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup – Cincy Shopper
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Total Time: 10 Hours 10 Minutes
- 1 – 1 ½ lb. stew meat, cubed
- 24 oz. fresh or thawed frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, peas, green beans)
- 4 cups red potatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz.)
- 1 can Great Northern Beans, drained (15 oz.)
- 32 oz. beef broth
- 1 ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Once cubed, season beef with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown beef.
- Transfer beef to slow cooker and add remaining ingredients. Stir and cover.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Once potatoes are tender, remove bay leaves and serve.
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup – Cooking Classy
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Total Time: 7 Hours 15 Minutes
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped (1 ¾ cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (1 ½ cups)
- 4 celery stalks, chopped (1 ¼ cups)
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried sage (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed, finely crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Saltine crackers or parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- Add chicken (do not dice yet), carrots, onion, celery, and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Drizzle olive oil over top, and add chicken broth, water, thyme, rosemary, celery seed, bay leaves, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on low heat for 6-7 hours.
- Remove cooked chicken and allow to rest 10 minutes, then dice.
- Add egg noodles and parsley to slow cooker. Increase temperature to high and cook and additional 10 minutes, or until noodles are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice and toss in cooked, diced chicken.
- Serve with crackers or Parmesan cheese.
Crockpot Chicken Gnocchi Soup – Pinch of Yum
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Total Time: 8 Hours 10 Minutes
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups mirepoix (a mixture of chopped onions, celery, and carrots)
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1 ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cans evaporated milk (12 oz. each)
- 2 packages of potato gnocchi (about 4 cups total)
- 6 slices of bacon
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 oz. fresh baby spinach
- Place chicken, mirepoix, basil, Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, salt, and broth in a crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Once cooked, shred chicken while in crockpot.
- Add cornstarch mixture, evaporated milk, and gnocchi. Stir and cook another 45 minutes – 1 hour, until soup has thickened and gnocchi has softened.
- Cook and crumble bacon into small pieces.
- Using the same pan the bacon was cooked in, with a small amount of grease remaining, sauté garlic for 1 minute and then add spinach. Cook until wilted.
- Add bacon and spinach to the crockpot. Stir and serve.
Slow Cooker Broccoli and Cheese Soup – Well Plated
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Total Time: 6 Hours 15 Minutes
- 5 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 ½ cups reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can 2% evaporated milk (12 oz.)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 block sharp cheddar cheese, grated (8 oz.)
- Place broccoli, carrots, onion, garlic, cream cheese, oregano, nutmeg, and chicken broth in a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2, until the broccoli is tender.
- Stir in evaporated milk. With an immersion blender, puree about ¾ of soup – it should be mostly smooth with a few chunks of broccoli.
- Cover the soup and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, and cheese.
- Once cheese is fully melted, serve.
Slow Cooker Lasagna Tortellini Soup – Chelsea’s Messy Apron
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Total Time: 6 Hours 15 Minutes
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz.)
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
- 1 can tomato condensed soup (10.75 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 package frozen cheese filled tortellini (16 oz.)
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley (optional)
- Toppings: Parmesan or ricotta cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef. Add onion and garlic to skillet during last few minutes of cooking. Drain.
- Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato soup to the slow cooker.
- Add sugar, basil, fennel, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in ground beef, onion, garlic, and beef broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- About 15-20 minutes before you are ready to serve, pour frozen tortellini into soup. If you were cooking on low, turn your slow cooker up to high and let the tortellini cook.
- Serve in bowls topped with fresh parsley and Parmesan or ricotta cheese.